Growing up, one of my absolute favorite things to do was play those late night games of Monopoly with my family and friends that went into the wee hours of the morning. Now while this makes some people reading this wince at even the thought, some of you know exactly the fun, excitement, and spirit of competition that I am talking about. We all start off on equal ground, but in the end whose strategy, luck, and negotiations will win?
Since I’ve always wanted to write a book on the subject, here are just a few of the life lessons that Monopoly teaches us (in no special order).
Life Lessons from Monopoly:
- Never let other people know how much money you have, or don’t have. Either way, they will quickly learn to manipulate you into making bad decisions that benefit them.
- Don’t keep low-end or high-end properties throughout the game. Buy them for trade and leverage, but focus on the middle ground and the masses for long-term sustainable growth.
- If you repeat the same risky actions too many times you’ll go to jail (three rolls of doubles). Just visiting is fine, but no amount of wealth is worth trading your family and freedom for.
- Know who you are playing against. If we don’t know our opponent, its hard to defend ourselves.
- Have a plan and stick to it. Where there is no vision, the people perish; plan your work then work your plan. Fine tune it along the way, yes, but don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.
- Only invest in what you know or are comfortable in dealing with. If you don’t, you probably just bought some swamp land in Louisiana, not a resort destination.
- Never pass up a truly good deal.
- Know that most deals are too good to be true.
- Even in board games the government tries to suck you dry. Give them what they require; not a penny more.
- Sometimes time and chance happen to us all. Rest assured though, it’s all in God’s plan and He loves you!
Well, that’s it for today.
Hope you enjoyed this tribute to our childhood and can not only learn from it, but apply what you have learned and be even more effective in your life’s calling today. God speed my friend and I look forward to hearing about how you “Passed Go’ using the life lessons and truths found in this article!
For more daily insights and professional life tips, come back tomorrow.
Want to know more about life lessons we can learn from Monopoly? Contact us today to set up a consultation or coaching call with Ascend.
Scripture to Consider:
- 1 Corinthians 5:6
- Ecclesiastes 9:11
- Proverbs 29:18a
- 1 Peter 5:8
- Matthew 22:21
- Romans 8:28
Have a question? Need more help? Want to share your story of how this article helped you?
Please submit a comment below or contact us privately to let us know today!