Do any of these sound familiar?
- I need more time
- I don’t have enough time
- I don’t feel good
- I’m tired
- I wish I had the money to do something like that
- I just need a break
- My people are simply useless; they’re dead!
- I don’t know what to do
- I don’t know where to start
- How do I know what the right decision is?
- I can’t live my dream because I’m always working to pay my bills
- I’m so busy with my business that I can’t stop to enjoy life
- Everyone is counting on me
- Once I get this done I can finally move forward
- As soon as we __ we will __
- I can’t go any further in my career because I never got that degree
- My family demands so much of me. I can’t get anything done when they are around.
- My boss is a jerk. He/She is moving the company the entirely wrong direction.
- These people have no idea how to run a company
- I have no value; I’m useless
- I’m the best and no one sees it; they are fools
- It’s not my job
- When they finally get their act together I’ll step up and give my best
- If I was paid more I’d work harder
- I’m confused
- How do I know which “expert” to listen to?
- If I only had a mentor
- I have no idea why I fail to act/perform
- That person really has there act together
- One day I …
- What if …
- If I just had…
- and the list goes on, and on…
While we have all said or thought at least one of these statements in life (probably many of them- repeatedly), the problem isn’t having the passing thoughts, it’s dwelling and living in them. You see, whether we see it or not, want to belief it or not, or will apply the truth or not, all of the above statements are lies and seeds of self-deceit and destruction.
Furthermore, just like all seeds, if we allow them to be planted in our minds and water them with consideration, they will grow. Thoughts like these all have one thing in common are completely destructive to our well-being, freedom, family, and success.
So What Do All of these Statements Have in Common?
Answer: “Me” at the center
That’s right. Every one of the above statements is about us- selfish, self-centered, and wrong.
Even though there may be a grain of truth to any and all of the statements above, if they are holding you back, crippling you from moving forward on the inside, or keeping you from feeling free and accepted, it’s because you’re allowing yourself to be sucked into that little world in your head that revolves around “You”; not where any of us should be.
You see, there is more to life than us. If we are always looking at ourselves as the center of the universe then yes, we’ll absolutely get sucked into the traps above and hundreds of others. However, if we keep the right focus and balance in life, when these false thoughts arise we can look back at our over-arching goal and purpose in life, prioritize what we are doing, and work through the challenges and pain to fulfill a calling bigger and more important than ourselves.
Think About It
We all know that what we believe directly affects how we live. Based on that truth, consider this. If you were a boxer and someone throws a jab your way, would you duck, dodge, and defend or let someone pound you in the nose?
Why is it then when someone throws a mental jab at us, or worse yet- we do it to ourselves in our mind, we sit there and take the blow to the face?
Why do we allow ourselves to think these negative and untrue thoughts over and over again and beat ourselves up all day and all night long? It’s really self-abuse.
So if you are like me and suffer from this insane phenomenon, here’s what you need to do:
- Stop It! When you hear the lies, stop them dead in their tracks, speak the truth out loud (yes, you can do this!), and move forward.
- Refocus. Look at the big picture calling or vision in your life. Focus in on that and what they next step is in achieving that goal.
- Do it! As a good friend and mentor of mine once told me, “NEVER discuss your abilities with yourself.” Dr. Andrew Kondratyev. Meaning, don’t think about what you can and can’t do. If God has called you to do something, He will give you the strength and see you through. Just do it!
- Review. Weekly, look back on your week. Evaluate what went right, what went wrong, and what can you learn from all events and decisions past. Write down the lessons to learn from them, not dwell on them, and move forward!
- Repeat! Success is not a one-time big victory. It is a series of small, diligent, and repeated events that lead you to excellence. Find what works (short-term and long) and repeat. Stop doing everything else that doesn’t contribute to your overarching goal/vision.
Hope today’s article helps you to experience victory and freedom like you’ve never had before. We look forward to hearing, and seeing your success stories.
Remember, we all have a choice over what we believe and how we will live. Yes, the past is the past- that cannot be changed. However, You can positively influence the future; so do it now! “Tomorrow is a reflection of Today.” Dr. Andrew Kondratyev.
In closing, here’s the big question of the day for you decide: What will you choose?
Are you going to choose Growth today or Excuses?
Helping You Ascend,