Unsafe Home Environments: 5 Unseen Toxins in Your Home

The thought that there might be something toxic in your home is terrifying. Particularly with all the media hype that poisonous materials can cause severe illnesses. Studies have shown that the average home has more than sixty environmental toxins that can badly affect the health of the occupants. Here are some toxins that might be present in your home and the problems they might cause:

 

Mold

Mold is one of the most common toxins found in homes. Mold occurs when moisture constantly comes into contact with the building elements of your home. When left untouched, mold can cause health problems as well as structural damage. Mold can cause severe health impacts depending on its toxicity. Occupants can experience:

  • Fever
  • Stuffy nose
  • Shortness of breath
  • Itchy skin and eyes
  • Develop asthma and increased attacks

The best way to find mold is by using your intelligence, be on the lookout for black, green, or white growths, particularly in places with noticeable leaks or water dews. Use the right cleaning products to get rid of small amounts of mold and leave the extensive patches to professionals.

 

Radon

Radon is an invisible natural radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. It leaks through cracks in home basements, adjacent foundations, and water. Radon is very dangerous since it is colorless, it is odorless and tasteless. You and your family might be breathing radon without noticing it. Luckily radon can be tested by experts.

 

Asbestos

You have probably heard of the terrible stories about asbestos. But the term asbestos refers to a fire-retardant type of insulation that was used in homes as early as the 1920s. Occupants are more likely to develop lung cancer due to extended exposure to the fibers. Living in an older home increases the chances of asbestos presence in household materials. Before selling a home, sellers should mention the existence of asbestos.

Never try to eliminate asbestos on your own. Always get the help of a professional to handle asbestos properly.

 

Lead

Lead can be present in old paints, soil near busy roads, and old plumbing. It can cause neurological damage, kidney damage, hypertension, reproductive issues, and disrupted cell production.

 

Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a leading cause of poison deaths in many countries. Carbon monoxide nonfire deaths are credited to cooking and heating equipment. This equipment includes gas-fueled furnaces, gas-fueled ranges, portable kerosene heaters, gas-fueled space heaters, and wood stoves.

Carbon monoxide is also an odorless, tasteless, and invisible gas produced by burning wood, propane, gasoline, and other fuel. When a person is exposed to carbon monoxide, the CO particles enter the bloodstream and replace oxygen leading to poisoning. Some signs of Carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Blurred vision
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Confusion
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting

Carbon monoxide can be extremely deadly to people who are intoxicated or sleeping. They might suffer from permanent brain damage or even die.

 

Conclusion

There are a few steps you can take to reduce the number of toxic elements in your home. Train yourself to live an optimal life, have better ventilation and air purification, paint while the windows are open, and eliminate all paint products that are not in use. 

 


Please Note: This is an affiliate article that we posted with the intent of helping people grow. It has not been verified or endorsed by our team. Seems solid at first glance, but it is up to you to verify the facts, links, organizations sited, validity of the information, and any and all claims made in the article. Thank you for understanding and please contact us with any questions that you may have.

%d bloggers like this: