In Part 1 of this series, Winking at a Girl in the Dark, the closing question was posed to you, “Are you going to Be the Marketing Giant or Hire One?”
Despite your decision, I am excited for you and proud of you that you have not only committed to a path, but are now ready to take the next step(s) necessary to make your dreams a reality- Congratulations!
Armed with this new found resolve and clear direction, you are now ready to start Marketing Your Way to the Top!
Be’ing the Giant
To help you begin this amazing adventure of mastery and growth in the pursuit of becoming the Marketing expert in your field, here are a few key steps to help you stay focused and effective along the way.
- Set a Clear Vision and Direction. As Ben Stein says, “The indispensable first step to getting what you want our of life is this: Decide* what you want.” If you are going to achieve any goal, the first step is always having a clear vision of where you are going, or at minimum, at least knowing the next step. Saying that, keep the Vision real and in front of you. Print it out, tape it up all over the place, and look at this daily as you make decisions. Before you act on anything, take on any new projects or problems, ask yourself through the filter of the Vision, “Is this the most profitable use of my time right now?” If it is, do it! If not, delegate it, let it go until later, or simply don’t do it at all. Remember, you only have 24 hours in the day just like everyone else. If you perceive someone else as being more successful than you financially because of some life advantage, you are probably mistaken. More than likely, the high-end achiever has simply found a way to keep the main thing the main thing as John C. Maxwell would say.
- Stick to Your Decision*. A friend of mine Kary Oberbrunner once told me that the word Decide means “to kill” your other options in the original Latin and Greek. Actually, any English word ending with the “cide” means that (Test: Genocide, Suicide, Pesticide. See? :). Meaning, when we decide to do something, we are killing off any other options and committing to our choice. When you think about it, there’s a great deal of closure in truly deciding something. Along with that though, there is also a great deal of stress in making decisions though for some people because it means they need to make a choice and close those other doors. The finality of that reality sometimes scares us all, but it is something that we all must do in order to be truly focused on a vision and passionately working towards it without waiver. So make your decision to be the master, and stick to it!
- Schedule, Schedule, Schedule! I LOVE learning, but I hate formal education. Meaning, while I love to learn and apply useful knowledge to help people in life, I despise remembering useless facts and figures just because. So sometimes when I am researching a problem or solution online, reading a self-help book, or writing an article such as this, I tend to get carried away and loose track of time. How do I fix that? Scheduling! What I do is set a rigid schedule for myself, make it public to my family, set alarms everywhere to snap me out of a learning coma, and make sure when the deadline hits, I’m done. Schedules are wonderful tools to put pressure on you to perform, organize your life, keep you productive, but not stress you out and keep you from slacking. So like I start with all of my coaching clients, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you set a good schedule and stick to it. Call me if you need help in that area. I may be ugly, but I can handle a fire-hose worth of work because of God’s strength and proper scheduling.
- Know What You are Hunting For and Come Prepared. Meaning, know your ideal client. Who are the clients that you love to work with and bring you the most ROI? What do they like? More importantly, what do they need? Target the ideal clients and forget the rest. Working with the wrong clients will only hurt you, and them- don’t do it. Furthermore, study them specifically and what you need to reach them, not reach the masses. For example, you’ll see articles everywhere online about every marketing topic imaginable. For the most part, most of them are informative and we can learn something. However, why spend your precious time and money learning to fish if your going hunting for deer? Why buy a crossbow, invest all that time in learning how to use it properly, and waste all that money in equipment and arrows when you’re going fishing? That would be crazy, right? Exactly! Don’t spend your learning time that way either. Know your customer, know where they spend their time, and target that audience with the right tools. A term I use with my clients is ABL- Always Be Learning. That term is always shared with them though with the warning, Be learning the Right Things!
- Do It!! Now that you are learning a TON of what you need to do to reach and connect with your ideal clients, don’t try to reinvent the wheel. See what others in your industry are successfully doing, what others in outside industries that may work for you are doing (think a little outside the box), and then take the best and run with it! Use the tools and techniques of each successful person you find and master them for yourself. Take in the good of these people, get rid of the bad, improve where you can, and become the master! A great way to do this is by Google’ing the key phrases of what you do and see what the top 10 ‘experts’ in your field are doing/saying. Read these articles, process them, reorganize them, add to them your own mastery and winning techniques, and then Go! As Theodore Roosevelt would say, “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are” And always remember, a good project on-time is better than a great project late.
Speaking of that, it’s time for me to go!
Now that you’re armed with this powerful knowledge, I encourage you to get out there and start becoming the Marketing master in your field. By applying simple principles above and teaching others what you have just learned as soon as you can is what will really help these lessons to stick and be a catalyst to your growth. So go out there and do this!
Next week, we will continue to explore some more helpful tips for you to apply in your exciting and new journey of Marketing that you have decided to embark on. In the near future, we will also be covering some helpful tips on how to hire the right Marketing expert internally, and/or outsource your marketing to a qualified team.
In the meantime, if you need more help, have any questions, or would like for Ascend to coach you along the way, please give us a call or visit our Coaching Special Offer page. We’d love to help and with weekly coaching packages as low as $397/month, it would be crazy for you not to call if you are ready for explosive and powerful growth.
Have a great day and I look forward to watching your success story unfold soon!
Helping You Ascend,
“Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does.”
– Steuart Henderson Britt
Scripture to Consider:
- Proverbs 29:18a