Feeling Stuck? Intimidated by a deadline barreling down at you? Well truth be told, the worse thing we can do at moments like these is stress. You see, stress closes down our creative juices and our ability to focus and get things done.
Mental stress is kind of like a herd of elephants trying to get out a french door, all at the same time. You see, maybe one might get through if it was all alone and had time to squeeze through just right, but with the rest of the herd pushing on it, pressing it to hurry up, and trying to force their way through at the same time, it’s just not happening. Either the wall is going to break or an elephant is going to get crushed and die. Either option is not what we want for our lives.
So here are a few quick steps to help you relax and get done what you need to do- and on time!
- Breathe. Just take a deep breath and know it’s ok. It’s not ‘crunch time’, it’s performance ‘Shine Time’. You can, and will do this!
- Start with the end in mind. Think about the end goal and where you want to be with the task or project when the time comes to turn it in.
- Outline the Plan. Now, work backwards from this goal and break the project down into simple steps of what you need to get done, and in order. Hand-write them down on paper because hand-writing helps connect the hand and mind and reveals any areas of clarity/uncertainty that may hold you back down the road.
- Set a realistic schedule and timeline for each step. Mentally commit to a schedule and know that even if that Step isn’t done to your satisfaction when the the time comes, you’re still done with it. Remember, perfectionism helps no one but the enemy- stop it. When you really commit to this line of thinking, you will never miss a deadline again or not be ‘done’. You’ll move with so much speed and passion that you’ll even impress yourself.
- Do It! Now, in the order you outlined the steps, start with Step 1 and complete it. Do not jump around or leave things undone to “go back later”. Later will never come and only slow you down and be painful mentally and emotionally. Take each step one at a time, finish it, and move on in order. Again, focus on Step 1, and Step 1 only. Step 2 is not a consideration until step 1 is done so push out out of your mind.
- Check the Box. Enjoy the pleasure of checking each item off when done.
- Smile! You just finished your project and made that deadline; great work!
By following these simple steps you will soon be finished with all your work and be proud of what you accomplished today.
No matter what, just stick to the plan and do your best. That’s all anyone can do.
Enjoy your many successes to come!
Helpful Quotes & Prayer:
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” Theodore Roosevelt
- “Lord, please help me to do my best, and accept my best.” Dr. Jerry Goddard
Scripture to Consider:
- Proverbs 37:23
- Philippians 4:13
- Proverbs 29:18a
- 1 Corinthians 14:40
- Proverbs 3:5
Have a question? Need more help? Want to share your story of how this article helped you?
Please submit a comment below or contact us privately to let us know today!